Sunday, 18 August 2013

A Song and a Warm Welcome



Wait, what?  We are back in school again?  Where did the summer go?

Blur
It feels like only yesterday when we said our goodbyes to the gates of UWCSEA-East, ready to embrace whatever adventures the summer of 2012-2013 had in store for us.  Seven weeks zoom by and just like that, here we are again. If you are a returning student, welcome back!  If you are new to the school, I look forward to meeting you very soon.  Nevertheless,  I am eager to hear all your stories, where you've been and what you have been up to the past few weeks.

In the meantime, here are a few things to mention at this point.  If you haven't been to our classroom yet, well, it's  no longer a crime scene.

The past (SY 2012-2013) 
The victim

This year's classroom theme was inspired by these chess pieces...(side note: thank you to, Brook and Ms. Rudquist for helping me make the vision of our physical learning space become a reality. It turned out better than I could have ever imagined, to be honest.) Hurry! Check it out, if you haven't already!

B508
And finally, two quotes from two awesome people.  Something to frame this year with -

A lovely sentiment from  George Saunders

"...err in the direction of kindness.  Do those things that incline you toward the big questions, and avoid the things that would reduce you and make you trivial.  That luminous part of you that exists beyond personality – your soul, if you will – is as bright and shining as any that has ever been.  Bright as Shakespeare’s, bright as Gandhi’s, bright as Mother Teresa’s.  Clear away everything that keeps you separate from this secret luminous place.  Believe it exists, come to know it better, nurture it, share its fruits tirelessly."  

and  an oldie but goodie from my favorite author, Neil Gaiman,  

"May your coming year be filled with magic and dreams and good madness. I hope you read some fine books and love someone who thinks you're wonderful, and don't forget to make some art -- write or draw or build or sing or live as only you can. And I hope, somewhere in the next year, you surprise yourself.”

A precious reminder to be kind to a fault and a special wish involving love and art for all you this year. Bring it, SY 2013-2014.  We are more than ready for you.  



5 comments:

  1. Yes it does feel like we said our goodbyes and farewells, just yesterday. I see Ms. Paula that you have kept the same crime scene theme as las year. And it's great to see your blog up and running! -Rohaan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rohaan! How are you? Great to see you here. Yes, I will be blogging in this space more often again soon. School has officially begun. As for my classroom - read the post! I actually changed the theme...From Crime Scene to Chess! :) Take care!

      Delete
  2. Hi Ms P! I am great, How are you? I actually came to school yesterday for lunch but i couldn't see any of my teachers because of the new timetable, but it was great to be back because it felt like home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rohaan! So sorry for the delayed reply. So wonderful to hear you equate UWCSEA as home. Wow. How have you been? I hope you are still writing!

      Delete
  3. Hi Ms.P! Sorry for my late reply, because i am now in Netherlands and so i had to go through packing stress! but know i am here and i am quickly settling down into my new school. Its not nearly as good as UWC, so i feel very privileged to have had that kind of education. English here is gr8! We have it everyday of the weak so thats a little too much! I am quite proud of my participation in english, because i am like the only one in class who talks. So Thank You Ms. P for really helping me improve on my participation skills! :)

    ReplyDelete